Friday 12 July 2019

Beginning something


be chafing/champing/chomping at the bit estar impaciente, devorarle a alguien la impaciencia (con deseos de hacer algo): They were chomping at the bit to begin the game. Estaban impacientes por empezar el partido. SPANISH: chafe = rozar, hacer rozadura (en la piel) champ/chomp = masticar (haciendo mucho ruido) ORIGIN: from a horse's bit (= bocado), which the horse impatiently bites
be hot to trot
(informal) estar deseando meterse en faena: After a long holiday, I was hot to trot for my new book. Después de unas largas vacaciones, estaba deseando meterme en faena con mi nuevo libro.
get down to business
ir al grano, entrar en materia: You know why we are here, so let's get down to business. Ya sabéis por qué estamos aquí, así que vamos al grano.

He examined and admired the tattooing on the forehead and breast. He marveled at the sharp filed teeth. He investigated and appropriated the feathered headdress, and then he prepared to get down to business, for Tarzan of the Apes was hungry, and here was meat; meat of the kill, which jungle ethics permitted him to eat. Tarzan of the Apes (1912) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

get/set/start the ball rolling
comenzar algo, poner algo/la cosa en marcha: All right, let's get the ball rolling. Venga, pongamos la cosa en marcha. ORIGIN: from sports such as bowling, hockey or croquet
get/take the bit between your teeth
(informal) ponerse a hacer algo en serio: As I had to finish the assignment by the end of the week, I got the bit between my teeth and had it ready two days in advance. Como tenía que terminar el trabajo para finales de semana, me puse con ello en serio y lo tuve listo dos días antes. ORIGIN: From a horse's bit (= bocado), used by the rider to control it. This idiom suggests the horse can now do what it wants.
get the/this show on the road
(informal) poner esto en marcha (comenzar actividad o viaje): Once we have the equipment, we'll be ready to get this show on the road. Una vez tengamos el equipo estaremos listos para poner esto en marcha.
put/set something in motion; set the wheels in motion
poner algo en marcha, comenzar un proceso/las gestiones, poner en marcha la maquinaria: All right, let's put the plan in motion. Venga, pongamos el plan en marcha. They set the wheels in motion for the crackdown on drugs. Pusieron en marcha la maquinaria de las medidas enérgicas contra la droga.

I quickly rose, and I think I must have shown her a queerer face than ever yet. “You see me asking him for a visit?” No, with her eyes on my face she evidently couldn't. Instead of it even—as a woman reads another—she could see what I myself saw: his derision, his amusement, his contempt for the breakdown of my resignation at being left alone and for the fine machinery I had set in motion to attract his attention to my slighted charms. The Turn of the Screw (1898) by Henry James

take the plunge
(informal) lanzarse (a hacer algo): He decided to take the plunge and ask his boss for a pay rise. Decidió lanzarse y le pidió a su jefe un aumento de sueldo. ORIGIN: swimming, from the action of diving into the water