Monday 8 July 2019

Lack of ability


be out of your depth perderse (por falta de conocimientos, experiencia, etc.): If she had to deal with such a class, she'd be out of her depth. Si tuviera que lidiar con una clase así, se perdería. When they start talking about politics, I'm out of my depth. Cuando empiezan a hablar de política, me pierdo.
“Surfacing, I suppose?” said he, with a slight but sufficient indication of the Tynesiders' claim.

“I beg your pardon?” said Denis, out of his depth at once. Denis Dent: A Novel (1903) by E. W. Hornung

have a tin ear
(informal) no tener oído (para la música, idiomas, etc.): You don't like this song? What's wrong with you? Have you got a tin ear? ¿No te gusta esta canción? ¿Qué te pasa? ¿No tienes oído?
I can't for the life of me...
(informal) por más/mucho que lo intento, no puedo...: I can't for the life of me remember where I put the letter. Por mucho que lo intento, no recuerdo dónde puse la carta.

I can't for the life of me,” said Blake, “make out what it is that has set that old fellow so strong against horses.” The Kellys and the O'Kellys (1848) by Anthony Trollope

let the cobbler stick to his last / the cobbler should stick to his last
(proverb) zapatero, a tus zapatos: He didn't do a very good job. As they say, the cobbler should stick to his last. No hizo un buen trabajo. Como dicen: zapatero, a tus zapatos. SPANISH: last = horma
someone can't do something for toffee
(British English, old-fashioned, informal) dársele a alguien algo muy mal, no saber hacer algo: Mary can't dance for toffee. A Mary se le da muy mal bailar.

Norris tried to comfort himself by observing that Notts couldn't bowl for toffee. A Prefect's Uncle (1903) by P. G. Wodehouse


ABILITY

Being good at something
Better than someone or something
The best you can do