Saturday 6 July 2019

The best you can do


do your best / give it your best shot (informal) hacerlo lo mejor que puedas: Don't worry, we know you did your best. No te preocupes, sabemos que lo hiciste lo mejor que pudiste. I haven't had much practice, but I'll give it my best shot. No he practicado mucho, pero lo haré lo mejor que pueda. SERIES: The Simpsons (Season 7, Episode 16: Lisa the Iconoclast) “Well, if you kids believe in me that much, I'll give it my best shot.”

Do your best at college, and when he sees that you try to please him, I'm sure he won't be hard on you or unjust to you. As you say, there is no one else to stay with and love him, and you'd never forgive yourself if you left him without his permission. Don't be dismal or fret, but do your duty and you'll get your reward, as good Mr. Brooke has, by being respected and loved.” Little Women (1868) by Louisa May Alcott


give it all you've got (informal) darlo todo, echar el resto, dar el do de pecho: Now, I want you to go out there and give it all you've got. Venga, quiero que salgáis y lo deis todo.